Along with implants, crowns and braces, dental veneers in Turkey have come into use. This is a real salvation for those who need to hide defects in the shape or color of their teeth, and for those who want to always look great. Veneers are plates that are glued to the outer side of the tooth and perform the functions of natural enamel: protective and aesthetic. But unlike the natural protective layer, which is often flawed, veneers look perfect and can give the impression of a perfect smile.
Pros of dental veneers
The installation of veneers is a plus:
- Protection of teeth – from temperature effects, from scratching food particles, acid and sucrose, the abrasive effect of toothpastes.
- Duration of service – when choosing a quality material and observing the rules of operation, you can use “artificial enamel” for up to 20 years, after which the lining will simply need to be replaced.
- Ability to clean in the usual way – you don’t have to change your toothpaste and brush for special products.
- Speed of the procedure. This plus applies to the installation of composite veneers, but in this case the item about durability is canceled.
- Natural color of the plates.
Veneer benefits are obvious: they protect teeth. Happy owners of their own healthy enamel do not need them, except in cases when it is necessary to correct the shape of an incisor or canine. But in the presence of defects that seriously impair the quality of life, there are many advantages to wearing veneers.
Cons of dental veneers
Any situation has a downside. And there are disadvantages in installing dental veneers:
- Irreversibility of the procedure – before the plate is attached, a thin layer of enamel is removed from the tooth. This layer will not be restored, so you cannot change your mind after the veneers have been applied. Before and after grinding, the sensitivity of the teeth is very different. Therefore, if the pads have become unusable, they will have to be replaced.
- Restrictions on food habits – chewing on hard and abrasive products with veneers is not worth it. In the case of composite linings, you will have to exclude coloring drinks, as the material will change its color.
- The impossibility of repairing the damaged plate. Only replacement.
For the sake of fairness, it is worth noting that in the case of installing a crown, much more hard tissue is grinded from the tooth. So dental veneers are a gentle option. And you should not get carried away with seeds and chop nuts with your teeth in other cases.
These factors can serve as a reason for reflection for those who already have good teeth, and want to do the procedure only for the sake of a perfect smile. Patients who are prescribed veneers due to pathologies are rarely afraid of these disadvantages.
The doctor may prescribe veneers if the patient has the following problems:
- uneven dentition,
- the presence of interdental spaces,
- irregular shape of teeth
- damage to the enamel,
- discoloration of the enamel.
In some cases, where there is a slight curvature, braces can be abandoned in favor of composite veneers. But such a decision must first be approved by the orthodontist. It happens that an individual tooth is not curved, but has a disproportionate shape, which is also solved by imposing plates. Enamel damage includes cracks and chips. Also, wedge-shaped defects and abrasion below the second degree become a reason for dental veneering.
There can be many reasons for a serious discoloration of the enamel. For example, it often becomes uneven after filling. When repairing posterior chewing teeth, this is usually overlooked. But the “spotting” of the incisors and canines causes psychological discomfort. In addition, darkening occurs due to trauma or from treatment with antibiotics high in tetracycline. Excess fluoride also leads to negative consequences in the form of “pockmarked” enamel (fluorosis). The initial stage of enamel dysplasia can also be corrected with patches.
Contraindications and restrictions
The indications for the installation of dental veneers have an important condition – all defects and pathologies should not be too neglected.
The main factors hindering this procedure:
- a significant part of the tooth is destroyed;
- most of its surface is sealed;
- the wear rate has reached the second degree or higher;
- gum disease;
- lack of teeth on the sides.
Before placing the plates, a small layer of hard tissue is removed from the outside of the tooth. But if little is left of it, then the indication will be the installation of a crown. In the case of a large filling area, when the layer is removed, there is a risk of significant tooth decay. In addition, the plates are best in contact with natural dental tissue – fixation is worse in artificial areas. But whether to put veneers with fillings can only be determined by a doctor, since modern technologies allow many difficulties to be circumvented. The same can be said about abrasion. If the dentin decay has already entered the second stage, then veneers may have to be abandoned in favor of crowns. But here, too, an expert must first assess the situation.
Involuntary teeth grinding at night – bruxism – damages the enamel and increases wear. If you do not get rid of it before the dental veneer, then the veneers will also become unusable in a short time. This problem is often solved with a special mouthguard, which must be made by the orthodontist. Also, if the patient has sore gums, then he must first cure them.
An incorrect bite can provoke excessive stress on the front teeth, because of which the fixation of veneers may not withstand, and they will fly off. You cannot walk without linings, because the enamel has already been turned. We’ll have to install new ones as soon as possible. Overloading is usually caused by a deep incisal overlap or a pincer bite. The absence of lateral teeth also creates unnecessary pressure on the incisors and leads to their displacement. Whether to put veneers in such cases – the conclusion can only be made by a specialist during the examination.
Patients have different attitudes towards dental veneers before and after installation. Not everyone fully understands that eating habits will have to be changed. It will not be possible to gnaw nuts, bones or cartilage, hard carrots. Seeds will also be undesirable, as they provoke surface abrasion. After installing composite veneers, you will have to exclude coloring drinks, unless you drink tea or coffee through a straw. In the presence of ceramic or zirconium, you will need to refrain in the first few days.
In the future, dirt and dyes will be removed from them during normal cleaning. As an additional hygiene product, you may need dental floss, as well as an irrigator.