As Class 10 board exams happen to be the first big exam of any student’s life, it is crucial to prepare and score well. More than anything, students should be well-versed with the syllabus during their Class 10 examination. According to the latest marking scheme, as per the Central Board of Secondary Examination, the student’s performance in their final exam becomes the basis of evaluation. Hence, in a paper of 100 marks, the first 20 marks are based on Internal Assessment, and the final examination paper is 80 marks.
The question paper has three parts:
- Section A — Reading and Comprehension Skills
- Section B — Writing Skills and Grammar
- Section C — Literature
How to Tackle the Grammar and Writing Sections in the CBSE Class 10 Exam?
- Developing vocabulary and reading skills —
- The way to score well in the first section is to understand the crux of the paragraph in the paper.
- To enhance this skill, you should try and read some short stories or news pieces daily. Even if you do not feel like doing this, ensure that you understand every paragraph of every textbook you read.
- The way to increase your vocabulary is to practice reading a passage. If you come across a new word, try guessing the meaning according to the context, and relate to it. Then, decipher the meaning and check it in the dictionary. This procedure will help you retain more if you practice it for a few days, and you will surely ace the first section of the paper.
- Hone your Writing Skills and Grammar — The only way to hone up your writing skills is to ensure you write something every single day. With more practice, you will learn to articulate better. Try to remember the format well, as the writing section puts immense stress on it. When you practice, follow that format of the paper.
- Plan and present your ideas in an organized way. Ensure that you do not make grammatical errors or spelling mistakes. According to the guidelines provided in previous question papers, try to trace the outline and not go out of track.
- Understand how to write letters and divide each part into three different paragraphs.
- While practicing grammar, study all the different grammar rules topic-wise. Practice on your weak areas, again and again, to ensure you understand the grammar rules and exceptions well.
- Make use of what you have learned from the grammar topics while you are writing. Curate grammatically correct sentences. Do not fill the blanks by guessing. Understand the context and fill blanks making use of what you have learned in the grammar topics.
What are the Preparation Tips for CBSE Class 10 English Examination?
The key to scoring well in this paper is to ensure that your literature base is as strong as your writing and reading skills. This section needs your attention the most. You will have to answer some objective-type questions that will check your understanding of the details of the text. The subjective-type ones will evaluate how well you can present what you understood of the stories.
The Class 10 English Literature part follows the book, ‘The Footprints Without Feet’ as the reader. This reader has ten chapters, all of which are proses. It is vital to cover all the chapters to understand the crux of the stories and form answers from them, concisely and straightforwardly.
These tips will help you prepare for the literature section and score more than 90% in your English exam for Class 10.
- Complete your Syllabus on time – Try to cover your syllabus by keeping yourself at par with how the school proceeds with the syllabus. After the teacher has taught a particular lesson, ensure that you sit and revise it after class. Do not leave English for the last-minute preparation as it might be difficult for you to catch up then.
- Summarise and Practice each Prose separately – Ensure that you study each of the proses thoroughly. Summarise them and see if you can answer. Mark and highlight all the crucial points of the chapters, and while you summarise them, ensure you include all those points.
- Practice the last ten year’s papers – To understand the paper format and what kind of questions might appear in the exam, you should practice all the question papers of the last ten years. Go through all the question papers in detail and see how much you can answer there. Keep practising till you perfect your answers.
- Work on your weaknesses- If you don’t understand a chapter, take the help of your teachers or experts on the Internet. Ensure that you work on the chapters you are weak in so that if any question comes from these lessons, you can tackle it without any hassle.
- Take the help of subject experts – If you feel stuck with any of the ten chapters in Footprints with Feet, the subject experts can guide you. The experts prepare NCERT Solutions for Class 10 English Footprints without Feet to strengthen the students’ foundation. If you get your hands on the NCERT Solutions for Class 10 English Footprints without Feet pdf download, you will have access to the detailed analysis and summaries of all the chapters. It will also answer all the exercise questions at the end of all the ten proses. This mechanism will help students revise well.
- Learn Time Management – The last and the most important tip is to manage your time well. Learn and practice writing answers in a fixed time. Time will play a crucial and deciding factor in your examination. Ensure that you practice with a watch in front of you. This habit will help you increase your speed too.
Although it is the first significant exam students sit for, they can get a 90% in English Class 10 CBSE if they prepare well, right from the start. Prepare well right from the start and keep the last few months for your revision, and you will be good to go!