Individuals who feel a lump on their neck with blood in the saliva should immediately seek help from the best oncologist in Lahore. The specialist will perform relevant tests to diagnose the illness and treat it accordingly. The treatment will allow the patient to opt for a suitable treatment plan to avoid further complications and enhance the quality of life.
Nasopharyngeal carcinoma is a type of cancer that develops in the throat and behind the nose, causing the person to suffer from congestion, constant pain, and infections. People diagnosed with Nasopharyngeal carcinoma should take timely treatment, or it can be life-threatening. The treatment is known to be effective in managing the symptoms. Individuals above thirty-five with a family history of cancer are at a higher risk of suffering from Nasopharyngeal carcinoma. The common symptoms of nasopharyngeal carcinoma are:
- The person can feel a lump near the neck.
- The patient suffering from Nasopharyngeal carcinoma will notice the blood in the saliva as initial symptoms.
- The person will constantly suffer from nasal congestion, leading to discomfort and hindrance in the daily routine.
- The patient will suffer from hearing loss due to the presence of cancer.
- The patient is at a high risk of suffering from recurrent ear infections that weaken the immune system.
- The patient suffers from constant headaches that affect sleep quality, physical health, and overall performance.
- The vision becomes blurry. Sometimes the person may experience double vision.
The known causes of nasopharyngeal carcinoma are:
- The genetic mutation in the normal cells causes the production and formation of cancerous cells.
- The Epstein-Barr Virus is known to trigger nasopharyngeal carcinoma.
- Men of age thirty-five to fifty with a family history of cancer and are at a higher risk of developing the condition.
There are no preventative measures for reducing the chances of suffering from nasopharyngeal carcinoma. However, people must maintain a healthy lifestyle and avoid consuming alcohol and tobacco, which affect the immune system and increase the likelihood of suffering from multiple health-related complications. People diagnosed with cancer should prioritize their physical health as prolonged untreated nasopharyngeal carcinoma can lead to metastatic cancer.
The tests that help in diagnosing an individual with nasopharyngeal carcinoma are:
- Family History and Physical Examination: The specialist will ask the patient about their close family members suffering from an autoimmune disease or cancer to detect the exact cause of the disease. Also, the doctor will conduct a thorough physical examination to detect the presence of lumps near the neck and other symptoms that indicate that the patient is suffering from cancer.
- Endoscopy: It is a procedure in which a camera on a thin tube is passed through the nose to detect any abnormalities in the throat.
- Imaging Tests: MRI of the neck will provide a detailed image of the tumor to evaluate the severity of the condition. It also helps to opt for a suitable treatment plan to avoid the further spread of cancerous cells.
- Biopsy:A small part of the lump will be closely examined to understand the cause and take preventive measures to reduce the chances of reoccurrence.
The effective treatment options for nasopharyngeal carcinoma are:
- Radiation Therapy: The procedure aims to slow the spread of cancerous cells by using high-powered energy beams.
- Chemotherapy: The therapy helps fight the cancerous cells if it has spread to other parts than the neck and throat.
- Neck Dissection Surgery:If chemotherapy and radiation therapy have proven ineffective in fighting cancer, then the doctor performs the surgery to remove the lymph nodes for a smooth recovery without complications.
- Targeted Therapy Drugs: The medication targets the cancerous cells specifically, to reduce the complications.
Individuals diagnosed with nasopharyngeal carcinoma must discuss their symptoms with the best oncologist in Karachi. The specialist will provide guidance regarding the latest and most effective treatment option based on the severity of the patient’s condition. It will help in smooth recovery without complications and enhance the quality of life.